1. The prevailing wind is the wind direction most often observed during a given time
period. Wind speed is the rate at which the air moves past a stationary object.
A. motionless B. massive C. flexible D. noticeable
2. During the rainy season the Mississippi River may carry away hundreds of acres
of valuable topsoil from one area and randomly deposit in another.
A. successively B. indifferently C. wildly D. irregularly
3. In order to understand the concept of infinity, we must think in much broader terms
than we are accustomed to.
A. are used to B. are aware of C. are convinced of D. are devoted to
4. She displayed great expertise in bringing the horse under control and thus won the first
prize in the race.
A. expert B. experience C. exercise D. skill
5. With me possible exception of equal rights perhaps die most controversial issue across
die United States today is the death penalty.
A. popular B. personal C. disputed D. beneficial
6. In case of drought, famine used to be inevitable in this area because of lack of irrigation
A. natural B. incredible C. unavoidable D. suspicious
7. In today’s society, each couple is expected to take on a range of obligations that
traditionally have been shared within a family and a wider community.
A. assume B. regulate C. avoid D. exceed
8. Employees who do not comply with the regulations will be dismissed.
A. cooperate with B. observe C. approve D. submit to
9. The Taoists disdained the intricately structured system that the Confucians favored for
the cultivation of human virtue and establishment of social order.
A. deplored B. deduced C. despised D. defined
10. The young man was greatly taken aback by the news that the police intended to prosecute
A. astonished B. disturbed C. stumbled D. baffled
11. In institutional structure reform, the officials are more likely to be faced with being
A. superior B. exterior C. interior D. inferior